Ambassador - Permanent Representative of Cyprus to the European Union
Place and Date of Birth
Famagusta, Cyprus – 14 June 1963
· LL.M. (European Law) – London School of Economics and Political Science, 1987.
Academic Appointments Held
· Ph.D. (Law) – University College London, 1991.
· Oct. 1988- Oct.1991: Research Associate in EEC Law (University College London).
· Oct.1991-Sept.1993: Lecturer in European Law (University of Southampton).
· Sept.1993-Jul.1994: Senior Lecturer in European Law (Queen Mary & Westfield College, University of London).
· Sept.1995-Sept.1997: Jean Monet Chair of European Integration (University of Durham).
· July 1994- July 1997: Honorary Senior Research Fellow (Centre for the Law of the European Union – University College London).
|Foreign Service Appointments |
· 17 March 1997: Appointed Minister Plenipotentiary.
· 18 March 1997 – 30 June 1998: Minister Plenipotentiary, EU Division, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Nicosia.
· 1 July 1998 – 30 June 1999: Deputy Permanent Delegate of Cyprus to the European Union, Brussels.
· 1 July 1999 -18 August 2002: Ambassador Plenipotentiary and Extraordinary of the Republic of Cyprus in Ireland.
· 1 April 2000: Promoted to the rank of the Ambassador of Cyprus.
· 19 August 2002-25 September 2004: Permanent Representative of Cyprus to the Council of Europe, Strasbourg.
· 9 June 2004-31July 2008: Permanent Representative of Cyprus to the European Union, Brussels.
· 18 August 2008-4 March 2012: Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Nicosia.
· 2 April 2012-12 February 2017: Permanent Representative of Cyprus to the United Nations, New York.
· Since 13 February 2017: Permanent Representative of Cyprus to the European Union, Brussels.
|Other Positions Held |
· Chairman of the United Nations Committee on Relations with the Host Country (2012-2017).
· Co-Chair of the 17th Meeting of the UN Open-ended Informal Consultative Process on Oceans and the Law of the Sea (2016).
· Chair, Special Committee on the Charter of the United Nations and on the Strengthening of the Role of the Organization (2016-2017).
· Member on the Panel of the Permanent Court of Arbitration, The Hague (30/11/1995-16/05/2016).
· Special Adviser on European Union Affairs to the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Nicosia, Cyprus (1 July 1994-17 March 1997).
· Member of the European Commission against Racism and Intolerance, Council of Europe (1994-1997).
· Member of the Greek Cypriot Negotiating Team in the Talks for the Solution of the Cyprus Problem under the auspices of the UN SG (July-August 1997, February–April 2004, May 2010-February 2013 and since November 2013).
· Chairman, Rapporteur Group on Human Rights (GR-H) of the Committee of the Ministers’ Deputies, Council of Europe (2003-2004).
· Delegate of the Government Agent in cases before the European Court of Human Rights (2002-2004).
· One of the Vice-Presidents of the 69th Session of the General Assembly of the United Nations (2014-2015). Served periodically as Acting President of the GA.
· Knight Commander with Star, Order of St. Gregory the Great, Vatican (2010).
Dr Emiliou is the author, co-author and editor of numerous academic and professional books and articles on issues of European Union, public international law and public law.