Civil Marriages in Cyprus
· The persons interested must first contact the Civil Marriage Department of the relative Municipality in Cyprus in order to be informed on the necessary documents for a civil marriage.
(More Information at the website of Union of Cyprus Municipalities)
· Persons who married in Cyprus and who need a copy of their marriage certificate are kindly requested to contact directly the relative municipality.
(More Information at the website of the Municipalities of Nicosia, Limassol, Larnaca, Paphos, Famagusta)
Issues of the non-marriage certificate
Office which issues the non marriage certificate:
The non-marriage certificate is issued by the Civil Registry and Migration Department by submitting the following documents and payment of the relevant fee. For the submission of the application and the issuance of the above mentioned certificate it is necessary that applicants appear personally in Civil Registry and Migration Department. Cypriots who live abroad should apply through the Embassies/Consulates of the Republic of Cyprus.
Documents required for application for non-marriage certificate:
1. Completed application form signed by the applicant.
2. Passport or civil identity card.
3. Affidavit that clearly describes his marital status (single/divorced/widow). In case of divorce or widowhood must be stated that the applicant has not been married since the divorce/death of his spouse. The Affidavit should also state the name of the person with whom he intends to get married.
4. Also in case of divorce:
a) a final divorce from the Family Court, after spending 42 days from the issue or
b) Religious divorce from the Holy Archbishopric of Cyprus if it was before 1990
5. Also in the event of widowhood, death certificate of his spouse.
6. €34,16 fee for the above mentioned application and issue the relevant certificate and €8,54 fee for the Affidavit. An additional fee of €5 is charged for the APOSTILLE issued by the Ministry of Justice and Public Order of the Republic of Cyprus.
PLEASE NOTE that all public documents issued abroad must:
a) Bear an official translation into Greek or English from a sworn translator.
b) Be certified with APOSTILLE if the country has signed the Hague Convention of 1961 or
- Certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country of origin of the applicant and then by the Embassy/Consulate of Cyprus in his country or
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country of origin of the applicant and then the Embassy / Consulate of his country in Cyprus and then certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Cyprus.
- In the instance that the country of origin of the applicant has not signed the Hague Convention of 1961and there is no Embassy /Consulate in the above mentioned country the documents must be certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country of origin of the applicant and then the nearest Embassy / Consulate which is accredited to Cyprus.
- Affidavit for Civil Marriage
- Application for a Non Impecliment Certificate