- The Government of the Republic of Cyprus is the only legal and recognized Government on the island - member of the EU since 1.5.2004, as well as member of the UN and other International organizations. As a result of the Turkish military presence and occupation, the Government of the Republic of Cyprus is not in a position to exercise effective control over the occupied areas of the Republic.
- The so-called "TRNC" has been condemned and declared illegal and invalid by the International Community through Security Council Resolutions 541/83 and 550/84. With the sole exception of Turkey, no state in the world or International Organization recognizes the secessionist entity.
- Currently, it is possible for foreign visitors who visit the government-controlled area of the Republic of Cyprus, to cross to the occupied areas.
- Staying in Greek Cypriots’ property, including hotels in the occupied areas, which are being illegally exploited, would put you at great risk of possible legal action on the part of the owners.
- Travelers entering the Republic of Cyprus via the illegal / closed airports and ports (i.e. all the airports and ports in the occupied areas), are in breach of national law of the Republic of Cyprus. Therefore, you are urged to travel via the legal ports of entry, so as to avoid the consequences of the law (provided that a visa has been granted to you). The legal ports of entry into the Republic of Cyprus are the airports of Larnaca and Paphos and the ports of Larnaca, Limassol, Latsi and Paphos, which are situated in the area under the effective control of the Government of the Republic of Cyprus. Any entry into the territory of the Republic of Cyprus via any other port or airport in the area of Cyprus in which the Government of the Republic does not exercise effective control (Turkish occupied area) is illegal”.
Third country nationals must apply and obtain an airport transit visa or a visa for admission to the Republic of Cyprus, for 90 days or less, as visitors for business or pleasure. The visa requirement for entering Cyprus is waived on the basis of the EU relevant Regulations for the citizens of certain countries.
Last Modified at: 02/09/2016 02:32:57 PM