1) MILITARY OBLIGATIONS
In accordance with the provisions of the Law relating to National Guard, there is compulsory military service for all male citizens of the Cyprus Republic including persons of Cypriot descent on the male side, who are resident of the Republic. The obligation commences in the year the person becomes 18 and continues to the year of his 50th birthday
2) MILITARY OBLIGATIONS OF PERSONS WHO ARE NOT CYPRIOT CITIZENS BUT ARE OF CYPRIOT DESCENT
All those who are not Cypriot citizens but are of Cypriot descent (even if they had not acquired Cypriot citizenship), were born in 1960 or after, and reside in the Republic are obliged to do military service. All those who belong to the above category and were born in 1959 or before, are not obliged at present to do military service. They may, however, if they wish, enlist in the National Guard as volunteers and after serving for six months only, may apply for Cypriot citizenship without being liable for any further military obligation.
3) PERSONS WHO ARE EXEMPT FROM COMPULSORY MILITARY SERVICE
Those exempt from military service include those who live permanently abroad for as long as they continue to reside out of Cyprus.
The following are also exempt:
- Persons of dual Cypriot and Greek citizenship provided that during their permanent residence in Greece they fulfilled (and did not buy themselves out) of their obligation to serve in the Greek Army as provided for in the law of the Republic of Greece
- All those who at the date of conscription have four or more dependants i.e. all those who are married and have a wife and three or more children who are minors
- All those who on conscription are considered unsuitable for military service for health reasons
- The oldest or the only son of the family whose father or brother was killed or went missing while serving in the National Guard
4) VISITS TO CYPRUS OF OVERSEAS CYPRIOTS ELIGIBLE FOR MILITARY SERVICE
Before departing from Cyprus, all those aged between 15 and 26 who are eligible for military service require an Exit Permit which is issued by the Ministry of Defence and local District Military Offices in Nicosia, Larnaca, Limassol and Paphos.
5) HOW TO OBTAIN AN EXIT PERMIT
For those persons aged 15-26 who are required to obtain an exit permit can do so by visiting the local military office whilst in Cyprus with their passport and their return ticket.
6) For the issuance of a certificate of permanent residence in a foreign country in order to be submitted to the Ministry of Defense for exemption from military service, the following documents should be provided by the applicant:
(Application for exemption)
- Valid passport
- Proof of date of first entry to the foreign country (if it applies)
- Certified copy of unabridged birth certificate
- Copies of parents passports (if applicable)
- Current passport
- Progress Report from Schools and / or official letter from Schools / Colleges / Universities for the complete years of study .
- The amount of EUR 8.54
- Old passport with which he left Cyprus
- Social Insurance card
- Income tax returns
- Utility bills
- Driver’s license
- School report card, church statement, doctor’s statement etc
ADDRESSES AND CONTACT DETAILS OF THE MINISTRY OF DEFENCE AND LOCAL MILITARY OFFICES
Ministry of Defence
5 Emmanuel Roides Ave.
Tel.(Exit Permits, Deferments, Exemptions): +357 22 807542-3
Fax:+357 22 362605
Nicosia Enlistment Office
5, Zaimi str., Strovolos, Nicosia
Tel.: +357 22 515238, 22417130, 22 417131
Fax: +357 22-515261
Famagusta/Larnaca Enlistment Office
Tel.: +357 24-625376, 24-411300, 24-411302
Fax: +357 24-653991
Limassol Enlistment Office
168, Ayias Fylaxeos str.,
Tel.: +357 25 369850, 25 413367, 25-342382
Fax: +357 25-351043
Paphos Enlistment Office
Paphos New Government Offices, Block A
Tel.: +357 26-413949, 26-413916, 26-933270
Fax: +357 26-222035
Military Service for Repatriated Cypriots
The relevant information can be found at the National Guard Law of 2011.
For additional military service information, those interested should contact directly the Ministry of Defense, the contact details of which are the following:
Ministry of Defense
4 Emmanuel Roides Ave.
Tel: (357) - 22807622
Fax:(357) - 22676182