Special conditions of admission and entry/transit restrictions
The following entry regulations apply only to the areas under the effective control of the Government of the Republic of Cyprus.
The Government of the Republic of Cyprus is the only recognized Government on the island - member of the EU since 1.5.2004, as well as member of the UN and other International organizations. As a result of the Turkish military presence and occupation, the Government of the Republic of Cyprus is not in a position to exercise effective control over the occupied areas of the Republic. The so-called "TRNC" has been condemned and declared as both illegal and invalid by the whole of the International Community through Security Council Resolutions 541/83 and 550/84. With the sole exception of Turkey, no state in the world or International Organization recognizes the secessionist entity.
1. Passport: Required, except for holders of: Laissez-Passer issued by the United Nations.
· Document issued to stateless persons and recognized refugees.
· Citizens of a member state of the EU, as well as, of Switzerland, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway may enter Cyprus with their national identity card (provided there is a photo identification on it).
2. The Government of the Republic of Cyprus strictly refuses admission to holders of “passports” issued illegally by the secessionist entity, the so-called “Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus".
3. Staying in Greek Cypriot owned hotels in the occupied areas, which are being illegally exploited, would put you at great risk of possible legal action on the part of the owners.
4. Travellers entering the Republic of Cyprus via the illegal / closed airports and ports (i.e. all the airports and ports in the occupied areas), are in breach of national law of the Republic of Cyprus. Therefore, you are urged to travel via the recognized ports of entry, so as to avoid any possible problems (provided that a visa has been granted to you). The legal ports of entry into the Republic of Cyprus are the airports of Larnaca and Paphos and the ports of Larnaca, Limassol, Latsi and Paphos, which are situated in the area under the effective control of the Government of the Republic of Cyprus. Any entry into the territory of the Republic of Cyprus via any other port or airport in the area of Cyprus in which the Government of the Republic does not exercise effective control (Turkish occupied area) is illegal”.